PPSR search results
A serial number search for a motor vehicle will have one of two results:
- No registrations found – there is no encumbrance registered on the PPSR
- Registrations found – there are encumbrances registered on the PPSR
Note: “Registrations” in this context refers to registrations of security interests on the PPSR, i.e. the registration number is the PPSR registration number, NOT the number plate of the vehicle.
Search certificate elements
Search certificates contain three main elements:
- Details of your search
- Details of any registrations found
- NEVDIS (National Exchange of Vehicle and Driver Information System) data
Details of your search
The first section of your search certificate includes the details of your search, including your search number and search certificate number.
Your search certificate number will allow you to access your original search result or certificate at a later date.
The search criteria shows the information you entered for the original search. If you receive an unexpected result, or the details about the vehicle in the NEVDIS data don’t match the vehicle you searched, double check that you entered the correct serial number.
Details of registrations found
In the event that your search returns no registrations, a note will be included on your search certificate and the next section will be the NEVDIS data.
Should your search return one or more registrations, the details of these registrations will be included on your search certificate. This includes registration details, collateral details, secured party details, address for service and history summary.
NEVDIS data is provided by the state motor registries and other government agencies and may include vehicle description, vehicle registration (plate) information, stolen and written off status. This data is maintained by NEVDIS and transmitted through to the PPSR on request; it is not stored or maintained by PPSR.
NEVDIS results may include:
- No NEVDIS data is returned for the serial number entered. This result could mean that the serial number you entered is not recorded on NEVDIS. This could be due to an incorrect serial number being entered, the vehicle not having been recently or never registered, punctuation and/or a space entered in the Chassis Number field.
- NEVDIS data does not match the vehicle you are looking at. Double check whether you have correctly entered the serial number. If it is correctly entered, please contact CarHistory to further investigate the discrepancy.
- Stolen Vehicle Indicator – ‘no data’. There is no NEVDIS data to indicate that the vehicle has been stolen.
- Written Off Indicator – ‘no data’. There is no NEVDIS data to indicate that the vehicle has been written off.
Note that NEVDIS does not provide vehicle identification information for a vehicle that was never road registered.
Should you have any queries about the accuracy of stolen vehicle information or the accuracy of any other vehicle information, please contact CarHistory.
If a motor vehicle search by serial number reveals no registrations found (no encumbrances), then if the vehicle is bought or leased on the day of the search or the next day, the purchaser or lessee will usually take the vehicle free of encumbrances. Exceptions to the usual rule apply in certain circumstances.